Hi my name is NuttyBee and I am infertile.
You know it.
This list is a summation of months of research before, during, and after my infertility treatments failed. It is what I wished someone would have handed me three years ago, although I may not have been ready to hear it. I plan to expound on each of these steps in later posts, but these are a jumping off point for your own research, reading and experimenting. There is nothing on this list that I would consider easy, but there’s nothing on here that compared to the pain of repeated fertility cycle failure or miscarriage (I’ve had 2). I can’t promise this list will be a magic bullet, but I think you will find you could out stronger and healthier once you have tried it.
If you are going through fertility treatments I think these steps will absolutely help you. I would only caution you to talk to your RE before you take any kind of herbal supplement.
Things to do before you go on fertility drugs:
- Go gluten-free. Challenging, yes, but less painful than a HSG. Or giving yourself shots.
- Get the High Fructose Corn syrup out of your diet. Clean your fridge and cabinets. Read ALL the labels. If its got HFCS, toss it. There are plenty of HFCS free products like ketchup or barbecue sauce if you look for them. Often they will be in the “natural” foods section of a normal grocery store, or any option at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.
- Say buhbye! to white/brown sugar. You have probably already done this if you’ve gotten rid of gluten and HFCS. If you are using any G-Free “substitute” products, read read read those labels. Often they are full of sugar.
- Read The Infertility Cure. From this book I used a very small dosage of herbs. If your going to do anything other than small amounts, go see a naturopathic practitioner or herbalist or even chiropractor. Let someone with solid knowledge guide you. Practice pressure points or give acupuncture a try.
- Go organic for produce and dairy. Just for right now. Theory is: your liver processes just about everything you put into your body. Even trace amounts of pesticides must be processed and flushed out. Give your liver ever support you can, so its main job will be to allow the right amount of hormones to enter your blood stream.
- Stop drinking all alcoholic beverages. See liver, above.
- Stop drinking caffeine products. You can cry about this one if you need to. I did a little….
- Get your vitamins naturally. This means increasing things like vitamin A and folic acid in your diet through things like egg yolks, liver (I’ll show you how), dark leafy greens, and cod liver oil (in a supplement easy peasey).
- Balance your blood sugar this will be easy if you’ve been doing steps 1-8, but you may need a little tweaking in the form of planned snacks or mini meals.
- Add some high quality, full fat dairy. I drink a local grass fed. I know many people who drink raw milk. This is the only milk WAP supports. I encourage you to research this option and explore the availability of a quality raw milk in your area.
- Get some fermented food in your life. Let good bacteria come to the aid of your body functions. You may first think of yogurt, see dairy above, which you can make at home. There are other great options such as Kombucha (also something you can make at home), kefir, or fermented veggies.
- Serenity, Now! Get out of your own head. Find a way to really relax and unwind. For me it was a run or yoga. Or both, depending on the day I was having! “Infertility” and “trying to get pregnant” can really take its toll emotionally and stress does all sorts of nasty things to your body chemistry. So go get mellow. Serenity now!!